Yogurt makers are simple, yet very efficient and effective machines for preparing different types of delicious and healthy homemade yogurts. While you can always do without one, once you start using it, you would never go back to the traditional methods of yogurt preparation. Just like all other technological advancements, yogurt makers were designed to enhance convenience. But over time, their use expanded.
Today’s modern yogurt makers like the VitaClay 8 C Rice Cooker Greek Yogurt Maker ESVF7900-8 and VitaClay 2-in-1 Personal Slow Cooker Yogurt Maker are multifunctional products that allow preparation of nutritious yogurt in lead free and unglazed pots as well as cook rice and other slow cooked foods. There are other excellent machines available on our website that are simple to use and very affordable. Click here to check them out.
Here is a delicious recipe for preparing soy milk yogurt right at the convenience of your kitchen.
Homemade Soy Yogurt
Preparation time for this recipe is approximately 1 hour; whereas the cooking time can go up to 5-7 hours depending on your preference.
What you need
- 1 quart plain soymilk
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar (powdered)
- ½ cup plain soy yogurt
These quantities will yield 8 standard servings. You can adjust the proportion of the ingredients to any desired quantity.
Utensils and equipment
- Measuring teaspoon
- A normal dinner plate
- A common hand blender
- 1 Microwave bowl
- 1 Food thermometer
- 1 Yogurt maker
Recommended Yogurt Makers
- Fill a pot or kettle with boiling water. Next scald a dinner plate with it, including the utensils, thermometer and anything that will come in contact with the yogurt. This will prevent the bacteria from growing in the yogurt.
- Next, put two cups of soymilk into a bowl and evenly sprinkle agar powder on it. Leave it for a few minutes to let it soften. After that put it in a microwave for 4 minutes, but stir after every minute till it comes to a boil. Make sure to wear safety gloves while handling the hot container.
- Next take the container out of the microwave and add the two cups of soymilk. Use the thermometer to gauge the temperature and keep stirring till the temperature of the liquid reaches 115 degree Fahrenheit.
- At the same time, power-up the yogurt maker to begin warming. If the yogurt maker calls for you to put water in the machine, now is the time to fill to the line where the manufacturer has marked the container. When the temperature of the soymilk reaches 115 degree Fahrenheit add ½ cup yogurt and blend it using the hand blender.
- Next pour the soy milk into the container that came with your yogurt maker, put the container into your powered up yogurt maker.
- After 4 ½ hours, open the yogurt maker to check the tartness of the solution. Normally it takes around 8-9 hours to reach the ideal tartness, but depending on your preference, you can choose to stop early. In the case of using store bought yogurt for your starter, this may take even longer.
- Once you are satisfied with the tartness level and the solution seems piquant enough, take it out, and place it in a refrigerator for a few hours.