Schmitt Crock Pots for Making Sauerkraut

Schmitt

113.99 

Free shipping to 48 Continental States. Alaska and Hawaii received a $20.00 discount on shipping.

The German made Nik Schmitt Crock Pots are ideal for making sauerkraut and pickles. Besides making sauerkraut you can make other ferment foods including pickles.

The Schmitt fermenting crock pots uses the lactic acid method of fermenting. The lactic acid fermentation process is when the natural sugars in the vegetables along with a natural bacteria found on vegetables are converted into lactic acid. This lactic acid fermentation process in a crock pot is done best in the absence of oxygen.  That is why you do not want to open the lid of the crock pot during the fermentation process.  The fermentation process produces carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide is heaver than oxygen and replaces the oxygen in the pot. The oxygen "burps" out of the pot through the water reservoir that the lid fits into. This water seal prevents fresh air from entering the pot. You want to keep oxygen and bad bacteria from entering the pot so mold will not grow inside while making sauerkraut. It is important to keep the reservoir filled with water and to not open it for about 3-4 weeks.

The pot has a food safe and lead glaze that has been fired in a 1200°C (2192°F) kiln.

The 2 piece weight stone is easy to insert and remove before and after making sauerkraut.  The stones hold the cabbage under the water.

Comes with instruction on making sauerkraut and pickles.

The 5L Crock holds 1.32 gallons and is perfect small batches or for 2 people. You can use only 80% of the pot leaving 20% air space. So that means you can make 4 liters (4.25 quarts) of sauerkraut in a 5 liter pot.  To do that it would take 6 to 8 pounds of cabbage.

Diameter is 10 inches
Height is 12 inches
The pot, lid and stones weigh 21.10 lbs (not shipping weight)

To reduce the risk of breakage, it ships to you from the importer on the east coast.

Weight is the empty pot weight and is not the shipping weight.

Helpful tools for making sauerkraut are a cabbage shredder and a Making Sauerkraut Cookbook:

Free Shipping is by FedEx Ground shipping to the lower 48 States. Free shipping does not apply to other products purchased unless they also have free shipping. Fermenting pots shipping to Alaska and Hawaii will receive a $20 discount on shipping.

Make sauerkraut and pickles in no time with Schmitt Crock Pots for Making Sauerkraut. Choose the size you need and place an order. Our delivery service is guaranteed to impress you